- Allen, P. (1999, June). Reweaving the
food security safety: Mediating entitlement and
entrepreneurship. Agriculture and Human Values,
Vol. 16, Issue 2, 117-129
- American Antitrust Institute (1999).
American Antitrust Institute warns FTC of dangers in
supermarket mergers, urges careful scrutiny of Ahold
acquisition in Northeast. http://www.antitrustinstitute.org/recent/32.cfm
- Anderson, M. D. & Cook, J. T.
(1999). Community food security: Practice in need of
theory? Agriculture and Human Values, Vol. 16,
- Andrews, M., Nord, M., Bickel, G.,
Carlson, S. (1999). Household food security in the United
States, 1999. Economic Research Service / USDA. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/FANRR8/fanrr8tx.pdf
- Balintfy, J. L., Rook, S. P., &
Taj, S. (1996). The index of decent subsistence. Socio-economic
Planning Science, Vol. 30, No. 4, 237-244.
- Barboza, D. (2000, December 26).
Rampant obesity, a debilitating reality for the urban
poor. New York Times, p. F5.
- Blaylock, J. R. & Blisard, W. N.
(1995, October). Food security and health status in the
United States. Applied Economics, Vol. 27, No. 10,
- Brunett, D. (2001). Access to an
adequate, nutritious diet: Supermarket access in
low-income communities. Last accessed: June 7, 2001. http://policymatters.org/policyframe.asp?frame=print&id=6375
- Canadian Social Planning Network
(1996). Food security resolutions: Peterborough Social
Planning Council. http://www.ccsd.ca/cspn/peter02.htm
- Carlson, S. J., Andrews, M. S., &
Bickel, G. W. (1999). Measuring food insecurity and
hunger in the United States: Development of a national
benchmark measure and prevalence estimates. Journal of
Nutrition, Vol. 129, 510s-516s.
- Coalition For A Livable Future (1999).
Food policy working group. http://www.clfuture.org/food.html
- Cook, J. T. & Brown, J. L. (1996).
Children's rights to adequate nutritious food in the two
Americas. Food Policy. Vol. 21, No. 1, 11-16.
- Cotterill, R. W. & Franklin, A. W.
(1995, April). The urban grocery store gap.
University of Connecticut: Food Marketing Policy Center,
- Cotterill, R. W. (2000, May). A
critique of the current food system. University of
Connecticut: Food Marketing Policy Center, No. 20.
- Curtis, K. A. & McClellan, S.
(1995). Falling through the safety net: Poverty, food
assistance and shopping constraints in an American city. Urban
Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World
Economic Development, Spring/Summer, 93-135.
- Cuyahoga County Planning Commission
(2000, August). Northeast Ohio Regional Retail Analysis. http://planning.co.cuyahoga.co.us/retail/pdf/chapter4.pdf
- Derrickson, J. P., Sakai, M., &
Anderson, J. (2001, May-June). Interpretations of the
"balanced meal" household food security
indicator. Journal of Nutrition Education, Vol.
33, No. 3, 155-160.
- DeLind, L. B. & Ferguson, A. E.
(1999). Is this a women's movement? The relationship of
gender to community-supported agriculture in Michigan. Human
Organization, Vol. 58, No. 2, Summer, 190-200.
- Dholakia, R. R., Pedersen, B., &
Hikmet, N. (1995). Married males and shopping: Are they
sleeping partners? International Journal of Retail
& Distribution Management, Vol. 23, No. 3, 27-33.
- Diouf, J. (n.d.) The right to food.
FAO Director-General statement. http://www.fao.org/DG/DGfood-e.htm
- Dowler, E. (1999). Mapping access
to healthy food in deprived areas: A pilot study.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and
Institute of Education.
- Economic Research Service, US
Department of Agriculture (2000, Fall). Questions &
answers about household food security in the United
States, 1999. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/FANRR8/qa.htm
- Etheridge, M. (1999, September 12).
Akron, Ohio-area chain survives grocery industry's
consolidations. Akron Beacon Journal.
- Falah, G. (1993). Trends in the
urbanization of Arab settlements in Galilee. Urban
Geography, Vol. 14, 145-164.
- Financial Times (1999, April 16).
Power in retailer's hands: The largest supermarket chains
may have been able to use the planning regime to bar
competitors offering lower prices. The Financial Times,
- Fisher, A. (1998, April 9). We need
your help now! "Community Garden" electronic
newsgroup list. http://ag.arizona.edu/hypermail/community_garden/1141.html
- Frongillo, E. A. (1999). Validation of
measures of food insecurity and hunger. Journal of
Nutrition, Vol. 129, 506s-509s.
- Gottlieb, R. & Fisher, A. (1996,
April). "First feed the face": Environmental
justice and community food security. Antipode,
- Griffin, D. (1998). Agricultural
globalization: A threat to food security? People's News
Agency (PNA) Dispatch. http://www.sare.org/htdocs/hypermail/html-home/29-html/0398.html
- Guy, C. M. (1994). Grocery store
saturation: Has it arrived yet? International Journal
of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol 22, No.
- Hartford Courant (1998, February 11).
Open more grocery options; our towns; Greater Hartford. The
Hartford Courant, p. A18.
- Himmelgreen, D. A., PÚrez-Escamilla,
R., Segura-MillÓn, S., Romero-Daza, N., Tanasescu, M.,
& Singer, M. (1998). A comparison of the nutritional
status and food security of drug-using and non-drug-using
Hispanic women in Hartford, Connecticut. American
Journal of Physical Anthropology, Vol. 107, 351-361.
- Howe, J. & Wheeler, P. (1999).
Urban food growing: The experience of two UK cities. Sustainable
Development, Issue 7, 13-24.
- Hupkens, C. L. H., Knibbe, R. A., van
Otterloo, A. H., & Drop, M. J. (1998). Class
differences in the food rules mothers impose on their
children: A cross-national study. Social Science and
Medicine, Vol. 47, No. 9, 1331-1339.
- Janoff, B. (1999, October). Urban
renewal. Progressive Grocer, 22-30.
- Kaufman, P. R. (1999). Rural poor have
less access to supermarkets, large grocery stores. Rural
Development Perspectives. Vol. 13, No. 3, 19-26.
- Kennedy, E. & Peters, P. (1992).
Household food security and child nutrition: The
interaction of income and gender of household income. World
Development, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1077-1085.
- Kent, G. (1998). Globalization and
food security in Africa. HUGG
International Symposium, Food Security and Governance in
- Klein, B. (1998). Could there be
hunger in America?. Family Economics and Nutrition
Review. Vol. 11, No. 4, 52-54. http://www.usda.gov/cnpp/FENR/V11N4/fenrv11n4p52.PDF
- Klesges, L., Pahor, M., Shorr, R. I.,
Wan, J. Y., Williamson, J. D., Guralnik, J. M. (2001,
January) Financial difficulty in acquiring food among
elderly disabled women: Results from the women's health
and aging study. American Journal of Public Health.
Vol. 91, No. 1, 68-75.
- Kolodinsky, J. & LaBrecque, J.
(1996). The allocation of time to grocery shopping: A
comparison of Canadian and U.S. households. Journal of
Family and Economic Issues, Vol. 17, Winter, 393-408.
- Koralek, R. D. (1996, November).
Conference on access to food: Report of the proceedings. http://www.fns.usda.gov/oane/MENU/Published/FSP/FILES/961101.txt
- Krauss, C. (2001, September 17). Upper
classes stoop to pinch every peso. New York Times,
- Lang, T. (1996). Food security: Does
it conflict with globalization? Development Journal
- Lavin, M. (2000). Problems and
opportunities of retailing in the U.S. 'inner city'. Journal
of Retailing and Consumer Services, Issue 7, 47-57.
- Leidenfrost, N. B. (1993, February).
Definitions concerned with food security, hunger,
undernutrition, and poverty. Report, USDA Extension
Service, Washington, DC. http://www.brown.edu/Departments/World_Hunger_Program/hungerweb/intro/basic_definitions.html
- Mackinnon, J. (2001, August 25). East
Akron to get long-awaited grocer. Akron Beacon Journal,
pp. A1 & A8.
- Michman, R. D. & Mazze, E. M.
(1998). The food industry wars: Marketing triumphs and
blunders. Westport, CT: Quorum.
- Morganosky, M. A. (1997). Format
change in US grocery retailing. International Journal
of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol. 25,
Number 6, 211-218.
- New Policy Institute (2000). Food
access - whose responsibility? http://www.npi.org.uk/Food%20Access.htm
- Nitzke, S., Phillips, B. (1998, March)
Nutrition for family living. Department of Nutritional
- Nord, M., Jemison, K., & Bickel,
G. (1999, September). Prevalence of food insecurity and
hunger by state, 1996-1998. Food and Rural Economics
Division, Economic Research Service, USDA. Food
Assistance and Nutrition Research Report No. 2. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/fanrr2/fanrr2.pdf
- Ohio Department of Health (2001). Ohio
WIC Program facts. http://www.odh.state.oh.us/ODHPrograms/WICN/wicfacts.PDF
- Ohio Hunger Task Force (OHTF) (2001).
Hunger in Ohio: The state of the state. http://www.ohtf.org/OHTF%20Report%202001.pdf
- O'Kelly, M. (2001). Retail market
share and saturation. Journal of Retailing and
Consumer Services. Issue 8, 37-45.
- Okun, J. (2001, March 28). Closer is
better; what makes a supermarket shopper loyal to a
particular store? Buffalo News, p. D1.
- PAN Asia & the Pacific (1999).
Food security versus free trade? http://www.poptel.org.uk/panap/sa/pamphlet.htm
- Poppendieck, J. (1997). The USA:
hunger in the land of plenty. In Graham Riches (ed.), First
World hunger: Food security and welfare politics (pp.
134-164). New York: St. Martin's Press.
- Pothuluchi, K. & Kaufman, J.L.
(1999). Placing the food system on the urban agenda: the
role of municipal institutions in food systems planning. Agriculture
and Human Values, Vol. 16, 213-224.
- Pritchard, W. (2000, July). Beyond the
modern supermarket: Geographical approaches to the
analysis of contemporary Australian retail restructuring.
Australian Geographical Studies, 204-218.
- Rankin, J. W., et al. (1998,
March/April). Food purchase patterns at the supermarket
and their relationship to family characteristics. Journal
of Nutrition Education, Vol. 30, No. 2, 81-88.
- Roos, E., Lahelma, E., Virtanen, M.,
Prattala, R., & Pietinen, P. (1998). Gender,
socioeconomic status and family status as determinants of
food behaviour. Social Science and Medicine, Vol.
- Sharma, R. P. (1992?). Monitoring
access to food and household security. http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/U8050T/U8050T02.HTM
- Staatz, J. M. (1996, June 24-25).
Comments on 'improving food access to poor and vulnerable
groups'. Department of Agricultural Economics, Michigan
- Sustainable Food Center (2000). Access
- Tolich, M. & Briar, C. (1999,
July). Just checking it out: Exploring the significance
of informal gender divisions amongst American supermarket
employees. Gender, Work and Organization, Vol. 6,
No. 3, 129-133.
- Toronto Food Policy Council (1996,
December). Food retail access and food security for
Toronto's low-income citizens. http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/health/tfpc_food.pdf
- Townsend, M. S., Peerson, J., Love,
B., Achterberg, C., & Murphy, S. P. (2001, June).
Food insecurity is positively related to overweight in
women. Journal of Nutrition, 1738-1745.
- Turcsik, R. (2001, January). Going,
going, gone. Progressive Grocer, 20-26.
- United Nations (1966). International
covenant on economic, social, and cultural rights.
General Assembly resolution 2200A (XXI), December 16. http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/a_cescr.htm
- US Census Bureau (1990). Income and
poverty status in 1989: 1990, geographic area: Akron
city, Ohio. American FactFinder. http://factfinder.census.gov
- US Census Bureau (1992). 1992 Census
of retail trade, definitions of industries. http://www.census.gov/epcd/www/rc92sics.html
- US Department of Agriculture (2001).
Official USDA food plans: Cost of food at home at four
levels, US average, April 2001. http://www.usda.gov/cnpp
- Van Esterik,
P. (1999). Right to food; right to feed; right to be fed:
The intersection of womens rights and the right to
food. Agriculture and Human Values, Vol. 16,
- Weinstein, S. (2000, May). Too little,
too late? Progressive Grocer, 113-122.
- World Bank (n.d.). Food and nutrition
policy: Nuts and bolts.